* Started in Oakcrest Kindergarten, then Doncaster, Willows, Oak Bay Junior.
## Oak Bay Senior Secondary
* 1966: Graduation
## University of Victoria
* 1966-1973: BSc Mathematics
* Turned out my strength wasn’t in Math. I should have graduated in 1970 but failed a couple of courses that year. Luckily I passed Math 249 (Introduction to Computing Science with FORTRAN) which led to …
## University of Victoria
* Worked at UVic continuously for 45 years, starting in 1968 as a exam marker for math prof. Dr. Deloume, and retiring in 2013 as a software developer for University Systems.
* Chaired the Bicycle Users Committee.
* Bike to Work Week team leader for my employee group.
## Physical Activity
* Kept myself moving by hiking, backpacking, running, yoga, and cycling.
* Frequently can be found at the top of Mount Douglas, preferably at sunrise.
* Three trips to Europe: four months hitch-hiking in 1971, four months bike-packing in 1982, and five weeks camper-vanning in 2005.
* Cycled from Jasper to Banff in 1981 and Ottawa to Halifax in 1984.
* Spent a month in Costa Rica in 1989.
* Visited Portland five years in a row (2010-2014) to participate in the Pedalpalooza cycling festival.
* Maintain a presence on flickr as jehvicvbc.
* Just finished Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace which is about unhappy people and their addictions. Most lively when describing those who make it to half-way houses and twelve-step programs. Based on personal experiences of the author, who later committed suicide.
* Currently reading Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, a romantic historical novel about a time-traveler in the midst of Jacobites in Paris and in events leading to the Battle of Culloden.
* Next up may be Middlemarch by George Eliot.
* Always too much Reddit.
* Starcraft II: a real-time strategy game that prefers a capable video card.
* Warcraft III: the recent 1.27 update allows this older RTS game to be played on newer Macs, yet doesn’t require a high-end machine.
## Professional Cycling
* This year’s Spring Classic Paris-Roubaix Race was excitingly manic from start to finish. Dark-horse rider Matthew Hayman won the race, surprising everyone and denying four-time winner Tom Boonen an unprecedented fifth victory.
* Looking forward to the Giro d’Italia in May, the Tour de France in July, and the Vuelta a España in September.
* 2013-Present: Help Bike to Work Society with Bike to Work Week.
* 2015-Present: Help on the OBHS 50th Reunion committee.
* 2004-Present: Help daughter Jennifer maintain her and her mother’s horse farm in Metchosin.
* Latest Tragedy: Mocha the runner duck taken by a hungry eagle nesting nearby. Two of Mocha’s eggs may hatch within days.